Saturday, February 23, 2008

100 Finds, The Geocaching Century Mark

The day is upon us. Team Hick@Heart has found 100 geocaches. Today was a beautiful day. Perfect for geocaching. I mapped out some hides and The Boy and I were off.

We started at a cache called Accuracy. It is not really necessary to sign the log. The idea is to put your GPS on a specific spot and log info such as the weather, how many satellites you are receiving, how strong your signal is and what latitude and longitude are you seeing.

Next we hit a relatively simple mathematical mystery cache. It was nice to be out on the rural roads rather than in town. We found one cache that had a pretty fun container. I've seen these on line but this is the first time I found one. It looks just like some poop in the grass but when you turn it over there is a cylinder holding a log. A log within a log if you will! Ah, the things you pick up/reach into while geocaching.

We climbed partway up a hill to find Hillside Hotwheels. Finding an ammo can under a bush just never gets old. We found a nice geocoin in there. A guy called PennyPacker from Etiwanda, California released 18 of these while on a 3400 mile road trip. the coin shows the Western United States. this discovery added a nice new icon to my list of trackables found.

We grabbed a couple more semi urban micros. At least these were in a quiet part of small town Menifee. I also logged two more DNF's while in this area. So here we are sitting at 99 finds. It's time to get the big one.

I had solved Magical Mystery Tour earlier in the week. I had to rely on a hint from the owner. There is no way I would have gotten on the right path. This cache is actually on my front page of caches closest to my house so I had to stare at it all the time. I knew this was the one. The Boy and I headed over to the area and began climbing the rocks. I finally made the find. this cache had not been found in almost a year. Everything looked good however a spider had taken up residence inside. I signed the log and made note of the milestone find. The Boy and I took some pictures tryng to use our hands to make the number one hundred. After 6 or 7 shots I felt I had it. It was only after I got home to look at the pictures that I realized we were holding up the number 001. I guess I'll have to make that up when I reach 200!

I'm happy to have reached 100 geocaches. I'm sure the urge to hunt the parking lot skirt lifters will subside. (For a couple months until I get close to 200!) The boy and I really enjoy geocaching together. Geocaching is all up in his head too. The other day while walking into a store, he stopped to examine a pay phone for geocaches. He said, "No treasure there." and moved on. Good job, The Boy!

Here are some more pictures from today.





8 comments:

Paul Myers said...

Congratulations on your 100th find. The milestones never get old, even if skirtlifting does.

go_man said...

Congratulations on this milestone find! It's nice to see that you're getting some fine help from The Boy. They grow up so fast. :)
All the best with your next 100!

Geocaching Online

cosmiccowgirl said...

Congrats! I remember when we got our 100th find! My son and I were so happy because we felt we we officially not "newbies". It's all uphill from here!

tonka_boy said...

Dude, Congrats on find #001. And doesn't making your kids pick up poo fit under child abuse? Nice shot in front of the CAT scraper. Just shows, you can take the boy out of the Midwest, but you can't take the Midwest out of the boy.

The Northwoods Geocats

Tinman105 said...

Hey 100 caches right on! Now you can retire. Better save those skirt lifters until rattlesnake season. Keep on cachin'

rakethetable said...

Congrats.

A great time spent with your son for sure.

Scott Booker said...

Congrats on your 100+ finds!! That is awesome!!

And I love the "Log in a log"!!! Have not seen one of those yet!!!

Heres to 100 more!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats. It is the best hobby! Our whole family does it. I spent one awesome day caching with my son before he went to bootcamp for the Army in January. You can't beat those memories!

Have an Idea? Open your free online storefont here.

Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free
Powered by WebRing.
Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:
This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service