Saturday, March 8, 2008

Camouflage Ammo Can For Geocaching


I'm not feeling too hot today so no geocaching for me. That doesn't mean I can't do a little work on my next geocache. I've had this ammo can for a couple weeks. I got it at the surplus store for 4 bucks.

I started off by grabbing some ultra flat camouflage spray paint a Wal Mart. I got black, brown and olive. I put a coat of olive over the whole ammo can to cover up the yellow stenciling. Then I cut a leaf off of a fake plant from inside the house. (Don't tell anyone.) I laid the leaf on the can and hit it with some of the brown and black spray paint.



I think it turned out pretty good. The whole idea is to break up the shape of the ammo can. The real test will be once it's outside in the natural light. I've seen some that were solid black and are actually pretty hard to see.

Now I just need to find some cool swag to fill it with. I know the perfect hilltop that is in need of a cache. Tell me what you think of this new ammo can.

6 comments:

go_man said...

Cool camo! Reminds me of an art class I took years ago in junior high school. We did something similiar with leaves. Funny, back then it was called 'Art'. :)

btw - I hope your turned the plant pot around so the bald spot faces the wall :)

Geocaching Online

tonka_boy said...

Sweeeet! We pay $9 here for those ammo cans. So Lock n Locks are real popular. I'm going to work on some new caches this evening.

Tinman105 said...

Looks pretty cool. Just picked up an ammo can today! 7 bucks. I'll have to buy some paint. Don't know where I'll put it but the kids are excited about it

Talkin' with the Tinman

cosmiccowgirl said...

It looks pretty good! I am impressed! I have been realizing lately that I don't do enough to my ammo cans, or even show too much creativity in my cache containers. I am inspired to change that. I am thinking about getting an ammo box soon, a small one, because I have an idea for a new cache location. I have two large ones sitting in my garage for a certain cache area I have been meaning to hide something in, and seeing this makes me think of dressing them up a little.

P.J. said...

Very sweet. The paint is awesome. I know if I saw this thing, I'd be stoked to have found it. Now that I'm getting into it some, I'm starting to think about what I need to do to make a couple of caches. We're thinking of one or two nanos (I actually like them) and a couple regular-size ones. I'm stoked to get into that part of the hobby!

HooHaaBlog.

Scott Booker said...

That is awesome! I never though about camoing an ammo can! Let me know how it works out.

We can get the ammo cans for about 4-8 bucks here too. Have quite a few sitting and ready to place.

Happy Caching...and hope you get to feeling better!

Have an Idea? Open your free online storefont here.

Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free
Powered by WebRing.
Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:
This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service